Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Scholastic Review of Titanic: Voices From the Disaster by Deborah Hopkinson

Titanic: Voices From the Disaster   by Deborah Hopkinson
The beginning of the book provides a great deal of background information about the history of the Titanic. This is important information because it helps you appreciate the magnitude of the events that unfolded. This book proved to be another page turner about the Titanic.

 If you remmeber correctly (or perhaps you missed?) I reviewed a nice "bathroom book" in the form of a big picture book citing 882 Facts about the Titanic. I don't know why I find Titanic history so immersible (good pun?) but it truly is. Some books fare better than others naturally.

 In looking for a link to Scholastic's page about this book I reviewed I found that they have many many books written by a bunch of different people about the Titanic, including a YA Chapter book collection/series, fictional, but based on the disater.. among others.

 The book I am reviewing was not fictional, it is intended for ages 13+ Grades 3-7. I think it would be better appropriate for grades 4-10th myself. The book is 304 pages, I don't know many 3rd graders that have the focus to sit through a historical account 300+ pages long. Even though the book read very fast, I assumed it was larger than normal print. But I have to admit, I enjoyed this book way more than I assumed I would. I couldn't put it down. I actually turned my TV off and curled up on the couch. If you know me, you know my television is ALWAYS on!


If you are interested in the Titanic (as I) then I'm sure you will find this book incredibly interesting. It is a sad story, but we mustn't forget our past, our history, for learning our history is the best way to help our future.

The book is hardcover, and it came with a dust jacket. Perhaps it's just me, I do not care much for books made in this way, it seems the jackets get tore, either by me, or one of my two destructive little girls. They mean well. Then, if jacket gets misplaced, I will find it stuffed into a drawer crumpled and ruined. Then I end up with a boring blue book. :(
I would think in today's time, we'd have a more efficient way - it seems a little outdated to me, but perhaps they will be phased out eventually.
That is neither here nor there, and doesn't affect the quality and flowing words of this book.
I loved this book, despite having a dust jacket (lol) and I can't wait until Giana is older, because she will love this book too, I know.
Even though we already know how it ends, and most of us have seen the movie based on the event, it is still interesting because there is still so much the movie doesn't say.


Other books about the Titanic by Scholastic

 My other Scholastic/Titanic book review


Critically acclaimed nonfiction author Deborah Hopkinson pieces together the story of the TITANIC and that fateful April night, drawing on the voices of survivors and archival photographs.

Scheduled to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the tragic sinking of the TITANIC, a topic that continues to haunt and thrill readers to this day, this book by critically acclaimed author Deborah Hopkinson weaves together the voices and stories of real TITANIC survivors and witnesses to the disaster -- from the stewardess Violet Jessop to Captain Arthur Rostron of the CARPATHIA, who came to the rescue of the sinking ship. Packed with heartstopping action, devastating drama, fascinating historical details, loads of archival photographs on almost every page, and quotes from primary sources, this gripping story, which follows the TITANIC and its passengers from the ship's celebrated launch at Belfast to its cataclysmic icy end, is sure to thrill and move readers.


This book is an action-packed drama about the 46,000-ton luxury liner the R.M.S. Titanic, which was considered by many to be a "Floating Palace." Wealthy travelers wanted to be on the Titanic for its maiden voyage for its elegant amenities and its famous captain. Captain Smith was often referred to as the "millionaire captain" because so many upper-class passengers would only travel on ships he commanded.


April 2012
9780545116749, 0545116740
$17.99
Ages 8 to 12, Grades 3 to 7
Hardback
Scholastic Press
304 pages
Juvenile Nonfiction / History














*Disclaimer*  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. Your experience with the product may differ from mine.

Read more: http://1caseycolette.blogspot.com/#ixzz23dE9LE1h

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! If you are entering my giveaway, please make sure you are following my blog through Google Friend Connect. It is NOT mandatory -However, karma begs that you do! Here's why; the more followers this blog has, the more great things I can continue to bring you. Remember in order to win on Locomotion of Expressions, all you have to do is place one comment stating that you want to win.