Wednesday, June 27, 2012

882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic


The bestselling title reissued-more than 125,000 copies in print!


882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic  by Hugh Brewster (Author), Laurie Coulter (Author), Ken Marschall (Illustrator)
96 pages

Reissued for Spring 2012 to coincide with the anniversary of the sinking of the TITANIC in April 1912.

Here is the one book with all of the answers to your questions about the TITANIC! This is the heart-stopping story about the legendary ship--from the building, maiden voyage, and tragic sinking, to its high-tech discovery on the ocean floor. Special features include the making of the James Cameron movie, true-or-false quizzes, and real-life stories of the young people who sailed on the fateful journey. Illustrated with dozens of paintings, diagrams, and rare photographs.

Hugh Brewster has written several books for children and young adults. You can visit him at 

Laurie Coulter is a children's book author who specializes in historical nonfiction. She lives with her husband in Toronto. You can learn more about her at www.lauriecoulter.net

Ken Marschall is a painter who is best known as the world's foremost creator of Titanic artwork. You can see more of his paintings at  www.kenmarschall.com .


What we thought:

I am a Titanic fanatic! What I mean by that is, I really get into watching movies and learning about the Titanic.

I recently took my daughter to the re-release of Titanic in 3D! I loved it just as much a few months ago as I did years ago when I was very little and watched it. Gosh- I have seen it so many times and it never gets old. 

When I stumbled across this book, I just knew it would be perfect for me. I love a good "bathroom reader" and I love having books in my BR, especially to soak in a hot tub whilst reading. 
I devoured this book of facts in the very first day I got it in the mail. Ok- I might have gotten the pages corners a teensy bit wet!
 I did actually learn a few things I didn't already know! 

This book has many illustrations, and is similar to a magazine. The pictures in it are extremely interesting, as they depict actual people and events and pictures from then, and now.

For instance, did you know?
  1. What room was the grandest of all on the Titanic?
  • The First Class Lounge was decorated to look like a palace room from  Versailles. It had elaborately carved and a marble fireplace on which stood a classical statue which read: "ARTEMIS OF VERSAILLES"
2.   Were any passengers on their Honeymoons?
  • 13 couples traveling on the Titanic were on their Honeymoons. Eight of them were in 1st class. 
3.  Can you really smell Icebergs before you see them?
  • Yes! Look out Archie Jewell had told his mate, George Symons "You can smell the ice before you even get to it." Passenger Elizabeth Shutes recalled that the air that evening smelled strange, like the ice cave in Switzerland Eiger Glacier . Icebergs break off from icebergs in Greenland. The minerals in them give off a distinctive odor as the icebergs melt on their journey south.
4.  What happened to the dogs on board?
  • A passenger went to the kennels and released them after the lifeboats had all gone. Survivor R. Norriss Williams later found himself face to face in the water with a champion bulldog Gamon DePycombe   * :(  *.

I LOVE this book! TWO thumbs up!!!


*Disclaimer* I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. Your experience with the product may differ from mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! If you are entering my giveaway, please make sure you are following my blog through Google Friend Connect. It is NOT mandatory -However, karma begs that you do! Here's why; the more followers this blog has, the more great things I can continue to bring you. Remember in order to win on Locomotion of Expressions, all you have to do is place one comment stating that you want to win.