Saturday, August 11, 2012

Experience Icelandic Glacial Water (review)


Icelandic Glacial, the award winning natural spring water bottled at the source in majestic Iceland, is the world’s 1st CarbonNeutral® bottled water.


With it being so hot in the summer, and needing a way to cool off, your first thought might be to reach for a soda, which is probably going to do more harm than good. I recommend you reach for Icelandic Glacial instead. I am not a big water drinker myself, and I'm not sure why. It is something I have shared with my readers before and is a constant struggle. Perhaps it because water has no flavor, I am not sure why. I don't consume a lot of liquid, at all. I would drink more perhaps if we didn't live in an area with such nasty water. If you want clean water where I live you have to pay for expensive in-house water filtration system. We have one in our kitchen sink, it's reverse osmosis, and it helps a little but it is only in one room. Not in our showers. 
In fact- if you drive by a car wash in the city I live in, you will smell strong "egg smell" it's the sulfur in the water. It's super nasty.
As you can imagine I don't drink the water here. I mean, I don't really like water anyway.. nor do I trust water here.
 THE ÖLFUS SPRING


Icelandic Glacial’s water source is Iceland’s Hlíðarendi Spring, part of the Ölfus Spring System, a catchment zone formed during a massive volcanic eruption more than 4,500 years ago. Ölfus Spring is a renewable resource, replenished annually by infiltration of rainfall and snow melt over uninhabited lava fields. Ninety-nine percent of the Ölfus flow releases to the sea below mean sea level. The only outflow to surface water is at Hlíðarendi, where a pond collects spring discharges which then flow for two kilometres before disappearing underground. It is from this system that the Icelandic Glacial water is taken.



The source of Icelandic Glacial is Iceland’s legendary Ölfus Spring. Formed over 4,500 years ago, the Ölfus Spring is continuously replenished by a gradual filtration of rainfall and snowmelt over uninhabited and untouched lava fields. One of the world’s largest natural springs, over 900,000 cubic meters of water overflows from the Ölfus Spring into the ocean every day. This is more than twice the amount of all bottled water consumed worldwide. 




To protect this valuable natural resource, the local government in Iceland has applied a 128,000-acre exclusion zone around the Ölfus Spring. As a result, no farming, animals, or buildings are permitted within this area.

Naturally occurring pure drinking water is a rare and precious commodity. Taking great care never to damage or deplete the Spring, we source less than 0.1% of the total water that naturally flows to the ground surface to ensure the preservation of the Ölfus Spring.



COMPLIANCE

The Icelandic Glacial source and facility are regularly inspected by the Icelandic Public Health Authority, which carries out stringent tests to ensure the plant is operating in full compliance with World Health Organization standards. In addition, internal on-site laboratory tests are conducted on a daily basis.

Icelandic Glacial is an NSF compliant facility where full analysis of the operation is carried out in regular audits. Icelandic Glacial has achieved a perfect 100% score from previous NSF audits, demonstrating the commitment to Total Quality Management.




Actually, I like this water. From head to toe from taste-bud to tongue.
The box I was sent.
The look of the bottles is what grabs your eye at first. It's so trendy looking. I have even been refilling the bottles (with the kitchen sink's reverse osmosis water)  and trying to encourage myself to drink more water, it's kind of working with these cute bottles. I don't agree with throwing away plastic bottles, as you know I am a eco-friendly person, and bottles can be re purposed for so many things, if not even just recycled.

Have you ever seen the movie, Bag It? CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT PLASTIC FOR SURE. Did for me, I watched it on Netflix. I don't even like documentaries but I couldn't look away. My mouth was dry at the movies end from being so open-mouthed in shock at my own ignorance. 




Here's what IG had to say about Plastic Bottle concerns and why not glass? 


" IG is built upon providing premium product from Iceland while maintaining environmentally sound business practices. Our research showed that PET plastic was the best package solution for us because it uses less energy, generates less solid waste, and created fewer greenhouse gas emissions, and is 100% recyclable (including the cap and label)."


I think it's sound, and am not so against plastics entirely. It'd be foolsih to think glass would be cheaper, it breaks. In one of my more recent reviews of Cocoawell, they are supplements housed in glass bottles and of them they did break. 
In some cases Plastics can even save lives. In many cases- really.

There is a happy medium! Recycle what you use, and don't litter.
Simple. I think plastic bags are way more of an issue than bottles. Just don't throw them out.


Here look at the amazing ways you can re-purpose plastics:


See, plastic bottles aren't trash! They are not always bad, it is us that makes them bad. There are so many possibilities to use plastic bottles, if we throw them away they will disappear in some hole in the ground, or even worse, get blown into the sea, plastic doesn’t break down, they will still be here long after we are gone
Now that I've shown you the cool stuff-

Here's the worry some stuff...More worrysome, read the caption below.  Here in this breathtaking photos from Environmental Graffiti (.com)

"Here, a piece of glacial ice sits on the black volcanic sand surrounding the lagoon, a tiny fragment of what may well have started its journey as a colossal iceberg. Ice caps, glaciers and icebergs are all melting at accelerated rates since world temperatures began to rise. Since the 1980s, Iceland itself has witnessed a rise in its average summer temperatures of between 0.5 and 1 degree Fahrenheit. Worryingly, the meltwater draining into the Jökulsárlón lagoon is steadily increasing its size to the point where it now threatens to engulf Iceland's main highway."


Even just refilling these bottles, my water is not as delicious as the water that came in them. What makes it so special?


(Icelandic Glacial's response) " The water we collect flows directly into our state-of-the-art bottling plant located right at the source, in Hlidarendi, Iceland at the edge of the Ölfus Spring. During this process, we ensure the water is never exposed to outside air. We also take great pride in running a completely sustainable operation, fueled entirely by geothermal and hydroelectric power.
The filling process takes place in a clean room environment held to laboratory standards. This ensures that Icelandic Glacial water is never exposed to outside air until you remove the cap."

In summation: I love this water, even the "bad" plastic bottle. I would definitely purchase this, and have seen it at many stores around here (gas stations, commissary, etc) We cannot live without water, make sure the water you are drinking is clean and pure. :)


Time is running out! Ends Sept 3rdEnter to win now on FB or read the Official Rules! (Winners will be notified on Sept 14th!)

What product can give you beautiful glowing skin, diminish those fine lines and wrinkles, increases your energy level, and help your overall health?…WATER!
Every system in your body depends on water, and even mild dehydration can make you feel tired. So,  make sure you drink eight or nine cups per day!


   
Images from: Environmental Graffiti
@EnviroGraffiti



*Disclaimer*  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. Your experience with the product may differ from mine. 
DISCLAIMER:
Some pictures and facts from this post where found on this page: The Staggering Beauty of Iceland's Glacier Lagoon 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! If you are entering my giveaway, please make sure you are following my blog through Google Friend Connect. It is NOT mandatory -However, karma begs that you do! Here's why; the more followers this blog has, the more great things I can continue to bring you. Remember in order to win on Locomotion of Expressions, all you have to do is place one comment stating that you want to win.