Monday, February 27, 2012

Sayonara gluten! San -J Asian Sauces (review)

San-j recently sent me a blogger's variety/sampler of all their sauces. I think they usually send two, but I was so enthusiastic about it, she agreed to send me several. I was instantly impressed at the robust seasoning and flavor that exploded in my mouth with each of these sauces. I have never heard of this brand before, but noticed them at my local Commissary this weekend. I noted that they are around 2$ a bottle, but my commissary is very cheap, so it's possible other stores could charge more.

I've never heard of a Tamari sauces before, and the best way to explain it is a soy sauce. I know I can be uber picky about soy sauces, and there's only one brand I even like- because the ones they sit on the table at many Asian restaurants are slightly watered down tasting. If this is in fact a soy sauce, it gets two thumbs up from me. I now have two that I genuinely like. You can read all the nutritional information and more about this particular sauce here: Gluten Free Organic Tamari Sauce

I think one of the only flavors I didn't get the opportunity to sample was this Orange Sauce.

I did get to try this Szechuan Sauce. I did enjoy it- but it was a tad bit spicy for my liking. I don't really eat a lot of spicy foods. I'm a wuss. My husband likes this sauce though, but his favorite, hands-down, was the Asian BBQ Sauce. I liked this too. We made grilled chicken breasts, with steamed vegetables and white rice. This sauce was the perfect complement for the meat. We have almost ran out of it. No worries, you can find out where to buy more (by Zip Code) on their website or,use this link.

I am a sucker for Teriyaki Sauce. I love to marinate (& grill) salmon filets in it. I run out of it quite frequently. You haven't tasted good salmon, until you have tasted it with this sauce brushed on. A lot of my friends and family tell me; "Salmon with Teriyaki? Weird!" But then, they taste it and melt. Even friends of mine who think they don't like fish and seafood discover a tender salmon filet, with Teriyaki Sauce is hard to resist. The most important thing about cooking a salmon filet stove-top in a pan, is using a little bit of olive oil, and not flipping too much. Salmon will fall right apart, so you only flip it once, when it is halfway done cooking.

Giana's favorite sauce was the Sweet & Tangy! she loves it so much, she keeps trying to use it on her chicken nuggets and french fries! Silly girl!

But I do want to tell you of my VERY favorite of all of the sauces: the Thai Peanut Sauce.
I do not think before this I have ever had the chance to taste a peanut sauce, but I absolutley LOVED this one. I even put it on my hobo dinner!
I'll share with you that recipe now.
Even though it's not an Asian or a Thai food, it tasted great on it. I love this recipe because it's simple, no mess meal. All you dirty is the chopping board and a knife, and a few forks. (Unless you choose to eat it on bowls/plates.
All you need is:
  • Aluminum Foil
  • Carrots
  • Italian Sausage
  • Onion
  • Bell Pepper
  • Potatoes
  • Shredded Cheese (optional, and only if you opt for ranch instead of Thai Peanut)
  • Ranch OR Thai Peanut Sauce.
Originally I would cook this as a teenager with ranch and cheese, but I tried it with Thai Peanut and it's amazing!

Here's how to do it! Make "envelopes" of thickly (multi-folded) aluminum foil. Chop the Italian sausage, carrots, bell pepper and onion to desired thickness. Pour sauce in envelope. Depending on how well you fold the envelop or how much sauce is used, you might want to place on a baking sheet to catch drippings, sometimes they all stay in the foil, it's depending on your folding abilities. You can cook it for about an hour, or less, that would also depend on if you bought pre-cooked Italian sausage, or raw Italian sausage. But what's neat is you can eat this right out of the aluminum foil.. thus why I call it my hobo dinner. It is so simple, literally preparation time is only a few minutes.



For special offers & coupons, you can "Like" their Facebook page.

*Disclaimer*  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. Your experience with the product may differ from mine.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! If you are entering my giveaway, please make sure you are following my blog through Google Friend Connect. It is NOT mandatory -However, karma begs that you do! Here's why; the more followers this blog has, the more great things I can continue to bring you. Remember in order to win on Locomotion of Expressions, all you have to do is place one comment stating that you want to win.