Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lets talk more about the The Zone diet (part II) check in




What is The Zone?
 (created by Barry Sears, PhD.). "The Zone Diet contains 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein and 30% fat and is also known as the 40-30-30 plan. The Zone Diet works on the premise that 100,000 years ago, we were meat eaters and our bodies was designed to handle the demands of a meat-based diet. As we have evolved, more carbohydrates have been introduced into our daily diet, causing an imbalance. The reason for our extra weight could be attributed to the many grains and starches in our diet (pasta, rice, breads, and potatoes). The Zone Diet’s strategy calls for a return to the diets of our ancestors where meat, fruits and vegetables are the main dietary items."

Actual bread they send!

Maybe I'm confused-- or dense.. but I have read and read on this and still cannot figure out how bread at every meal helps you lose weight? The bread is supposedly molecularly baked so it's different from other bread. Maybe I am dense.. and naturally hesitant of ladening myself with carbohydrates. I scarely eat bread. Espcially not at every meal. But in case you haven't noticed this, the Zone breads, pastas and baked goods all contain Zone balanced amounts of carbohydrate, fat and high quality protein, and they contain no AA. I have no idea what that really means.

What I am a little confused about is- in researching trying to figure it out.. using search terms carbs + Barry Sears + The Zone.. all I can find is posts about how there are too many carbs and we should cut them out. I suppose what the diet is supposed to do, like any diet- is teach you to eat healthier. Maybe its a long term thing. I have yet to lose any weight. However I feel great. I'm no doctor.  I don't know what is going on inside of me, But getting healthy can't be from dropping weight fast. I know that. That can really screw up your metabolism. By starving yourself and depriving yourself you are setting yourself up for failure. 

That is not to say this bread is not good. Some of it really is!
My favorite so far is the cinnamon swirl bread w a tad bit of butter. YUM! 

Tiny diet tip from me. We used to go through those big tubs of butter.. a lot of them actually.. I found myself cooking vegetables and casseroles and loading them down with big spoonfuls of margarine. Bad me! That stuff is going to give you a heart attack. Just stop. If you have to have butter, go easy on it. I have found that by buying the butter sprays (There are numerous brands of it) you will realize just how much butter you were using. Something about it being solid in a tub possibly encourages you to use more when really just a little bit will suffice! Why I say this is I have noticed these tiny spray bottles last forever and have actually helped me out with this. I don't want high blood pressure and cholesterol problems. No thanks!


All the bread was good with the exception of two things.
First of all the bread is loaded with topping. Like mega heavy. The onion roll has too much onion..the garlic breads.. oh my goodness.. I like garlic and that is just way too much! The sesame seed bagel had so many sesame seeds on it, half of them fell off in the cellophane and it was enough to fill a shot glass.. there was still some left on the bread too! A lot actually. So all in all- it was good, but I found myself brushing off a lot of the topping in the trash can. Then, there was the flatbread. It was really tough and cardboard-ish. But that is just my opinion. Everything else was very yum.. and the M & M cookie? Delish! Love the little rice crunchies. I even loved the soft pretzels.. and I don't even like pretzels.

 I do know that when you are working out.. and I have been. Especially when you haven't in a while.. you'll gain muscle before the scale will reflect a noticeable weight loss. I also know that your weight fluctuates daily.. depending on a number of things. That being said.. just because I haven't lost anything from this diet yet doesn't mean I won't!


With the bread they sent that I am eating I am supposed to take his special omega (which leaves a fish oil taste in my mouth) supplement 4x a day at every meal. there is also a little pill of poly phenols. I read about the polyphenols (and you should too!) and the way it was explained it sounds awesome. I believe they would work. I truly do. 

How Does The Zone Diet Work?
"The Zone Diet works by working the right ratio of carbohydrates to proteins and fats in order to control the insulin in the bloodstream. Too much of the hormone (insulin) can increase fat storage and inflammation in the body (conditions that are associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease). Sears asserts that by using the Zone Diet you are actually optimizing the body’s metabolic function. Through the regulation of blood sugar, you allow your body to burn excess body fat.


The Zone Diet does not actually prohibit you from any particular food group; however food with high fat and carbohydrates such as grains, starches, and pastas should be avoided. Fruits and vegetables are the preferred source of carbs and monounsaturated fats (such as olive oil, almonds, avocados) are the ideal choice of fats. The Zone Diet claims to use food as a drug for overall good health, weight loss and prevention or management of heart disease and diabetes.
Sears says that you can test to see whether you are ‘hormonally’ correct by eating following the Zone diet and see how you feel four hours later. To simplify the Zone Diet, fill one-third of a plate with low-fat protein, and then two-thirds with fruits and vegetables."


What I am reviewing is the home delivery system. They recommend that you refrigerate the bread, and I did, but I found that leaves the bread too hard for my liking. So I either microwave it for 10 seconds or I let it sit out for 30 or so before I eat it. 

The Zone diet meal delivery will help you with a simple menu and controlling portions. I like to buy my regular things, and I usually only go to the grocery store twice a month. Occasionally I do a fill in trip or two but they are few and far between. A lot of the ingredients they suggest I use for their plan is not foods I have laying around, or an interest in buying. So I tried to tweak them the best I could. 
For a busy mom on the go, this could be a help or a hindrance. Helpful that it's all laid out for you, but a hindrance if you constantly had to go pick up this and that to stick to the plan. I would probably more appreciate a frozen meal delivery.
The menu does seem to be interesting with a lot of different ideas. Hey- I am open to new recipes. 


"The Zone Diet consists of balancing fats, carbs and protein.  This is an essential combination that can help you to lose fat.  Many people starve their body and this can cause the body to store fat rather then eliminate it.  You will not have to think about making this combination on your own, just look for products that are designed for the zone diet exclusively.

There are bars and shakes that you can use for snacks and breakfast.  This will help to keep you full in between meals.  You should never feel hungry and starving and using the food that is provided to the fullest can help you to prevent the ravaging feeling that other diet plans can cause."

The whole Zone delivery diet kinda goes against the food pyramid. But apparently either the food pyramid is being completely ignored with all the fast food options now available taunting us with their delicious commercials and dollar menus.. or it doesn't work.
Since starting this home delivery diet it was also a little bit of a nuisance that my family and I were now eating separate meals for dinner, and I think the whole thing was getting on my husbands nerves. Once a week (or more) we have what I call Fenfor nights. These are where everyone eats what they want to eat and mommy doesn't have to cook. Lord knows the hubby isn't going to. Fenfor means FEND FOR YOURSELF! (lol!) So since starting this diet every night has ben a Fenfor night in my house. I feel slightly guilty about this, but I need to lose some of this weight! My sister is having her wedding soon, and there will be pictures, and I do NOT want to be the chubby sister! 

I noticed that none of the bread is whole grain which confused me.. since I thought whole grain was good. Here's what I found on their forum when running a search query
"Because even whole grains are dense carbohydrates that will increase the GL of a meal too much, taking it right out of Zone balance. If you include bread in a Zone meal, it should be eaten in small amounts as a condiment."

The supplements that are suggested should be taken very seriously.  If you do not use the recommended supplements it can cause you to have delayed results.  The Zone diet is about proper nutrition and you want to make sure that you are in step with the entire system.

The zone diet home delivery can help you to achieve your weight loss goals.  This will give you the body you want and you will not feel deprived during the process.  Changing your nutrition can change your entire life and this can be a change that you want to be a part of.

But do you really need a diet to tell you all of this. I like the idea of diets but in retrospect they might be slightly silly. All they all do is the same thing basically, that we all already know. Eat healthy and stay active and you will lose weight. its really as simple as that! Silly girls! I do think that these are good motivators. Especially for a lazy gal like me who doesn't really have time to sit down and figure a menu out. Is it right for you? Only you can decide. Check back in with me in about 8 days and see what I thought about this weeks shipment. 

Oh by the way- 
Here's what was in this weeks shipment, in case you were wondering .. and a play by play of excellent, good, ok, and not so yum- grades of what was in last weeks shipment.

   Week 1 Shipment
BREAKFAST


1 Bagel - White - OK.
1 Bagel - Garlic - Not so yum.
1 Bagel - Sesame - Not so yum.
1 Roll - Hearty White - Good.
1 Package - Original Granola - Great!
2 Packages - Cinnamon Swirl Bread Slices (2 slices per package) FAVORITE!


LUNCH


1 Bagel - White - Good.
2 Flatbread - White - Not so yum.
1 Package - Original Granola - Great!
1 Roll - Hearty White - Good.
1 Package - White Bread Slices (2 slices per package) - Good.
1 Package - Multigrain Bread Slices (2 slices per package) - Good.


DINNER


3 Packages - Fusilli - Good.
2 Packages - Orzo - OK.
1 Pizza Crust - White - OK.
1 Package - Plain Croutons - Great!


SNACKS


1 Package - Mint Chocolate Chip Nougat Bar - Good.
1 Package - Chocolate Chip Nougat Bar - OK.
1 Package - Blueberry Nougat Bar - Not so good.
1 Package - M&M® Cookies - GREAT!
1 Package - Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies - Good.
1 Pretzel - Sesame - Not so good.
1 Package - Original Granola - Great!


Week 2 Shipment


BREAKFAST

1 Bagel - Multigrain
1 Bagel - Onion
1 Bagel - Sesame
1 Roll - Multigrain
1 Package - Original Granola
1 Package - Peanut Butter Granola
1 Package - Cinnamon Swirl Bread Slices (2 slices per package)

LUNCH

1 Roll - Sesame
1 Flatbread - Multigrain
1 Bagel - Garlic
1 Roll - Multigrain
2 Packages - White Bread Slices (2 slices per package)
1 Package - Multigrain Bread Slices (2 slices per package)

DINNER

2 Packages - Fusilli
3 Packages - Orzo
1 Pizza Crust - White
1 Pizza Crust - Multigrain

SNACKS

1 Pretzel - Herb
1 Package - Original Granola
1 Package - Coconut Chocolate Cookies
1 Package - Strawberry Nougat Bar
1 Package - Double Chocolate Fudge Nougat Bar
1 Package - Milk Chocolate Chunk Cookies
1 Pretzel - Sesame


SOURCE : WebMD

1 comments:

Shannon's Tales of Motherhood said...

The butter sprays and shakers are great! I can tast more of a buttery taste with them.They are so fattning using those sticks.I been walking lately to loose weight and the scale went up a few ponds,I know it's true about what you said,gaining muscle first.
Thanks for the review!
Thanks,
Shannon
shannpf1977 @ yahoo dot com

Post a Comment

Wait! If you are entering my giveaway, please make sure you are following my blog through Google Friend Connect. It is NOT mandatory -However, karma begs that you do! Here's why; the more followers this blog has, the more great things I can continue to bring you. Remember in order to win on Locomotion of Expressions, all you have to do is place one comment stating that you want to win.