Friday, July 6, 2012

The Ghosts of Ashbury High by Jaclyn Moriarty (review)

The Ghosts of Ashbury High



The Ghosts of Ashbury High is the story of Amelia and Riley, two strange kids who get a scholarship to Ashbury High. They immediately become the talk of the school. Everyone is obsessed with this mystery couple, who are strangely and surprisingly talented at everything and who only seem to speak to each other. Teachers and students alike start speaking differently and dressing differently, trying anything to break into Riley and Amelia’s seemingly secret world.  Best friends Emily, Lydia, and Cassie are determined to figure out what makes Amelia and Riley click, while doing a little ghost hunting along the way!

The story is told through a series of student essays, blog posts, and messages from the different characters. Therefore, it is told from quite a few perspectives.  I wasn’t sure how I would like that, but it really wasn’t so bad once you got used to it. To me, it seemed jumpy at first, but once I got familiar with the characters it seemed to flow much better. The essays that the story is told through are written by the students for their Gothic Fiction class, so that lets you know not to take anything too seriously. I really liked the blog posts made by Emily. The comments made by her and her friends were actually pretty funny! I also really liked the telling of the history of the settlement of Australia told by the character Toby. It seemed well researched, and I found out some things that I never knew! The book seemed kind of slow starting out, but once I got to the middle it really picked up speed. I wasn’t sure how everything was going to come together in the end, but I was pleasantly surprised at how the author brought everything together! I won’t spoil it for you, you will have to read it yourself! J

This book is actually the 4th book in a series about these students but does not have to be read with the others. I have never read any of the other books, and I was not lost at all while reading this. I think that if you like a fun book, with quirky , unique characters, then you will enjoy this book very much!

$18.99 Hardcover Book 

Topics:
  • Adolescence
  • High School
  • Ghosts
  • Supernatural

Be sure to check out Beth W's Blog


*Disclaimer*  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. Your experience with the product may differ from mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! If you are entering my giveaway, please make sure you are following my blog through Google Friend Connect. It is NOT mandatory -However, karma begs that you do! Here's why; the more followers this blog has, the more great things I can continue to bring you. Remember in order to win on Locomotion of Expressions, all you have to do is place one comment stating that you want to win.