Friday, June 22, 2012

Foster your child's love of math at an early age with Thanks Mama's ABACUS review



I am so excited to share with you this wonderful site I stumbled across recently. It is called Thanks Mama. Now I have tried cloth diapers and decided they weren't for me, but there are tons for really great prices on the site.


Instead of doing a diaper review, I opted to review one of their toys. A toy most of us mommies probably have seen before, an Abacus by PlanTOYS!


Perfect for young children, especially those learning how to count, this abacus has primary colors and adjustable feet! This wooden “calculator” helps teach math skills, patterning and color recognition. Slide and count the beads with this timeless counting frame. I loved that this abacus is wooden, and not plastic. I despise all the plastics used in our children's toys, and it's great to get back to safer more natural play time!




 The abacus, also called a counting frame, is a calculating tool used primarily in parts of Asia for performing arithmetic processes. Today, abaci are often constructed as a bamboo frame with beads sliding on wires, but originally they were beans or stones moved in grooves in sand or on tablets of wood, stone, or metal. The abacus was in use centuries before the adoption of the written modern numeral system and is still widely used by merchants, traders and clerks in Asia, Africa, and elsewhere.


It is sold on their site for $24.99
ThanksMama has a great little sale section you should check out! 



Devonny is only two, but you'd be amazed that she can count to 20! Never-mind the fact that she skips the number 2. I am not quite sure why but I am sure she's never said "two" Ironically, her age is 2 She just had her 2nd birthday! She loves this Abacus and has counted with it, and likes to tote it around the house. Thank goodness it's sturdy construction lends a hand to being able to withstand such rough playtime. 


We almost put our 6 year old in 1st grade at a Montessori school but ultimately decided it was too far away, and would be too much driving. I know they utilize the Abacus in many popular learning methods and if your child struggles with counting- this toy is perfect for you!


There are a few other toys of note that I found in each category (by age) on their site. I really liked how they make it easy to shop for toys and have them categorized by age. It was extremely helpful in find the right toy for us! You can then organize your results even further by shopping by price (low to high) popularity newest additions, and more!


In the Birth to age 1 category, I wanted to share (for those who haven't seen it as of yet) this award winning adorable teether called Sophie the Giraffe.
I especially thought the Kushies Digs Dog House was neat!
In the 3-4 years section, I really liked this Stacrobats
I liked in the Age 5+ the Plantoys Wooden Toaster.

 Don't forget to "Like" them on Facebook, and let them know I sent you their way! 





Facebook.com/thanksmamaclothdiapers
Youtube @thanksmama
Twitter @thanksmama
Pinterest.com/thanksmama

*Disclaimer*  I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. Your experience with the product may differ from mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! If you are entering my giveaway, please make sure you are following my blog through Google Friend Connect. It is NOT mandatory -However, karma begs that you do! Here's why; the more followers this blog has, the more great things I can continue to bring you. Remember in order to win on Locomotion of Expressions, all you have to do is place one comment stating that you want to win.