Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Raise a Giant: Stand Up Against Bullying with Green Giant #MyBlogSpark


Bullying is a big thing. I guess I have been naive to it, until it started this year in 3rd grade. Bullying doesn't always mean hands on pushing or shoving, biting, kicking and physical things. Bullying can be words too. A cut from a scratch will heal, and be forgotten about. But bullying leaves a mark on the heart of a young child forever. Words can carry with you, and sting harder than the child, or you; the parent, might think.
I guess there have been little instances peppered here and there. You know: I had one little girl in the same class as my daughter last year fight and bicker with her all the time. I chalked it up to a clash in personalities, because it seemed like a love-hate relationship. Until one day the little girl was telling the other girls she wouldn't be her friend if they talked to her. It made me really angry. I went to school to eat lunch with my daughter the next day because they sat together I asked her why she would say such a thing.. and told her if it didn't stop I would tell her grand mother. Because it was really bothering Gigi.  It got better, it got worse. I never looked at it as bullying, probably because I assumed Gigi wasn't 100% innocent.
Giana (left) ugly... ??? WHERE? Yeah right!!!  That little boy needs his eyes checked.
But this year, the boys are getting older and more brazen and picking on the girls. She came home from school the other day tearful because a little boy in her class has been kicking her, and pinching her, and telling her she's ugly. He even told her she looked like a boy!!  *Gasp!*  SERIOUSLY? How mean!!!  First of all, let me say, there is no way -- no how Gigi looks like a boy. She is gorgeous, she wears dresses, bows and has very long hair. She is VERY girly.  I think I was more offended than she was. I never knew how insulting that could feel, and if it hurt me;I know it REALLY hurt her.
It starts with name calling like that! I called the teacher right away & I let her know about the situation.
Honestly- if the teacher cannot stop it, nor the Principal- I will do what I had to do last year, and speak with the boy myself. Whether it be in her lunchroom, or directly in the class.   Hopefully Gigi will stop being so meek and submissive to problems like this. She is not a shy child at all, she just will not stand up for herself or be forceful (even in voice) with another child. She is only 8, after all. 
You do have to remember to smile, be kind, and stand up for herself and others by saying “Stop!”  Being forceful in attitude only, not that she should put her hands on, or disrespect another child at all. Just that she should try to ask for it to stop nicely, then if need be, forcefully, always trying to befriend the bully- as I feel like that is sometimes the problem. Maybe he/she feels left out. Or at this age, maybe like they say- he has a crush on her. I know nothing about this child. For all I know he may hear his father talk to his mother like that. Perhaps that is not the case at all. But that is what most parents would assume.  It got me to thinking though.. I hope no other kids have stories they are telling their parents MY child did or said something IDK about, and they are wondering they same thing about us and our home life. It's just a thought...
I hope that other parents are teaching their children the same things, just to be nice. That's the main goal of this campaign and my story. If everyone were nice there would be NO problems. Your niceness is contagious. Compliments and smiles definitely are!!!
Does she look like an ugly boy to you? That's just mean.

. The world is a lot meaner than it was when I was a kid and I want my children to feel safe and confident when they venture outside of the safety of our home. 
Yes, Green Giant is all about vegetables, but they know it takes a lot more then veggies to raise healthy children. They know bullying is one of the hardest things that children deal with and they way bullying affects a child’s life. That is why Green Giant has partnered with PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center and We Day Minnesota to help parents Raise A Giant and put a stop to bullying in their community!
What Does it Mean To Be A Giant?
Being a giant isn’t about being the biggest or the best. Being a giant means standing up for others. It means lending a hand to those who are in trouble and speaking up for those who sometimes find it hard to speak up for themselves.
“Studies show that an effective way to stop bullying is for kids to simply speak up and say, “That’s not okay” when they see bullying happening.
But asking kids to have the courage to stand up to bullying is a tall order and that’s why they need our help.”
(Click Image to Enlarge)
How Do You Raise A Giant?
As parents, we can write a letter to our children, telling them how special they are and encouraging them to be part of the bullying prevention solution by being a giant. To get some inspiration, head over to RaiseAGaint.com and read the letters others have written.
(Click Image to Enlarge)
I wrote a letter to Gigi that I have shared with you all below as well. I encourage you all to head over to RaiseAGiant.com and write a letter to your child. You never know, it could make a big difference in their life. 
"Raise A Giant" Campaign all about combating bullying. The campaign officially kicked off yesterday in recognition of October being National Bullying Prevention Month.

“Our new movement will empower witnesses of bullying to be passionate, proactive advocates to end bullying, creating stronger families and communities nationwide." John Stockman, associate marketing director for Green Giant, who noted that a recent survey showed that 90% of all parents are concerned that their children are or may become targets of bullies and are looking for ways to help empower their children to find the courage to speak up and take action against this kind of abuse.

“Kids who are bullied may suffer from anxiety and depression. They can feel scared, helpless and alone," commented Julie Hertzog, director of PACER's National Bullying Prevention Center. "We're proud to partner with Green Giant to empower moms and kids to take positive action in their communities."

The campaign will revolve around an online open-letter writing campaign at a new website, raiseagiant.com, where parents will use the power of story-telling to stand tall against bullying. In addition, Green Giant is looking to get bloggers, like myself- and media to write and share letters and videos about bullying, aiming to stop bullying in their own communities and introduce a school curriculum created by PACER, which they are funding. I 100% support htis campaign, and encourage you to share this post, and to go now and write you own latter, sharing it to your social media pages, via the handy share button after you submit your post. You can TWEET PIN POST EMAIL PRINT to share. Read my letter on the site now here: Raiseagiant.com/?p=1339


Take 60 seconds and watch the video below. Help your child take a stand against bullying!


Disclosure: The information and prize pack have been provided by General Mills and Green Giant® through MyBlogSpark.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! If you are entering my giveaway, please make sure you are following my blog through Google Friend Connect. It is NOT mandatory -However, karma begs that you do! Here's why; the more followers this blog has, the more great things I can continue to bring you. Remember in order to win on Locomotion of Expressions, all you have to do is place one comment stating that you want to win.